RIVER AVON

Post anything regarding this venue in here or just to say how your day went.
IMPORTANT!!!
NO FISHING Allowed on this pool between September 1st and February 1st inclusive.

Moderator: Azz25

rogerb
Chairman
Chairman

RIVER AVON

Postby rogerb » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:53 pm

Hi Everyone,
Are there any reports regarding the River catches at Abbots Salford not seen a lot to date, has anyone caught any Barbel this year and if so at what weight.
Roger B. :lol: :lol: :lol:

mickschilling
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby mickschilling » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:29 am

I spent a fair amount of time there last year with only a 5lb bream and a 5lb chub to show for it. Had some decent bags of small fish over on the tip though, peg 10 area. Otherwise it was pretty quiet. Hoping to get on there before the season ends...............
Cheers - DONT FALL IN!!!!

Mick Schilling
Committee member Redditch Town

Stu
Club Treasurer
Club Treasurer

Postby Stu » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:33 am

Roger,
I had a fairly good afternoon session on the Avon yesterday (as I will be busy all weekend and working Monday).

Fishing in the low numbers I had a nice net of chub and a solitary roach (which was around 1/2lb) chopping and changing between waggler & feeder fished bronze maggot and hemp. All the fish were in pristine condition and the biggest chub went 4lb 11oz - I thought it might just push 5lb. The smallest was around 2 1/2lb.

The river is in excellent condition with a nice flow, a touch of colour and yesterday there was an upstream breeze. So excellent waggler weather!!!

I lost a couple of chub too (pulled out of one close in as the bait had masked the hook) and was seen off by either a couple of barbel or carp. Thought I had tamed one having played it for 10 mins and it had gone downstream 50+ yards, only for the hook to pull again. Shame!

With such excellent fishing in such fantastic surroundings, it never ceases to amaze me how few people fish the river, and those that do mainly do so solely for the barbel. Four guys stopped for a chat yesterday, two of which I believe went on to fish the barbel pegs.

Incidentally, some of the platforms are in need of repair or are virtually non-existent. It looks like a difficult job to repair them (would we need a boat?) but if there are any plans to do so in the close season, let me know. This is a top venue and I do feel we need to keep it accessible.

Cheers,

Stu
Club Treasurer
Club Treasurer

The Barbel are still feeding!

Postby Stu » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:04 am

Had a short session last Friday evening, fishing the river just as the light faded and had a cracking 12lb 5oz Barbel. :D It went off like a steam train and gave the new XT4000 baitrunner a good workout!!

And for those who are wondering, I didnt catch it on pellet! :shock: :shock:

richcherr
Forum member
Forum member

Postby richcherr » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:10 pm

just done an 8am -1pm session on the Avon, peg was in the early 20's. fishing the tip with swimfeeder filled with maggot and hemp and a sleeper rod with boile and pva bag of pellets. managed a chublet and a minnow on the tip. plenty of features around the peg (reeds, overhanging trees etc.) but river still a little low and clear.

only just started fishing rivers. any tips for our stretch of the Avon (tactics, pegs etc.)?

cheers

rich c
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

kingudgeon
New forum member
New forum member

Postby kingudgeon » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:04 pm

Got in my last river session this morning before the season ends, decieded against fishing for barbel as the river was low and clear so set up a waggler rod instead. I fished hemp and caster mid river for two hours feeding steadily with only two missed bites before the float finally slipped away and I struck into a fish. It was soon clear this was no roach and after a good scrap on light float tackle, up popped a 6lb4oz barbel! Result!
a bad days fishin' is better than a good days work.

mickschilling
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby mickschilling » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:46 pm

I fished the river one monday pm late feb and took an 8.5 barbel off peg 2 on the stick, perfect fish, really good condition :D
Cheers - DONT FALL IN!!!!

Mick Schilling

Committee member Redditch Town

kingudgeon
New forum member
New forum member

Postby kingudgeon » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:52 pm

You really can't beat catching quality fish like that on the float on a well balanced set up, especially on the river, proper fishing!
a bad days fishin' is better than a good days work.

Return to “Abbots Salford”