Big brothers?

Post anything regarding this venue in here or just to say how your day went

Moderator: Azz25

geoff
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Big brothers?

Postby geoff » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:43 am

I’ve recently rejoined the club after a break of 20 years; I’m really enjoying my fishing and have had three great days at Bradley Green, lots of action with small carp. :D
My largest to date is 9lb, can anyone tell me what’s the largest carp currently inhabiting the pool :?:
I'd rather be fishing!

Cyprio
Top Class Forum Poster
Top Class Forum Poster

Postby Cyprio » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:38 am

I have it on good info there is in fact 20s in there, getting through the smaller carp is a bit of a prob though. If you look on club pic gallery there is an old pic of chris holding a 16lb mirror in his mug shot. Nice pool for a bit of action bradley green.
Effort = reward ..............sometimes!!!!

geoff
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby geoff » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:20 pm

Cyprio wrote: If you look on club pic gallery there is an old pic of chris holding a 16lb mirror in his mug shot.

Yes nice picture, but it was taken in December 2005, and I wondered if the pool had been netted since then?
I've found the small carp are fun, :) but a problem if you’re trying for the bigger ones.
I'm not sure I could afford to feed them out of the way; so last time I went, I fished one rod with a larger bait, whilst catching the smaller ones on the other rod.
I had 20 fish on the small bait and 1 fish (of 9 lbs ) on the other rod, so maybe that's the way to go :!:
I'd rather be fishing!

Cyprio
Top Class Forum Poster
Top Class Forum Poster

Postby Cyprio » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:47 pm

I think it has got to pay to make an attempt to single out larger ones, bigger baits can work but a lot of the time the bigger fish are more nomadic and hang back from the shoal of small uns. I have also found on other venues islands seem to hold a lot of small fish too, It may work just baiting a spot and fishing on edge of it. It is the same on a lot of lakes, the bigger, wiser carp become more crafty and avoid capture. Someone who has fished it more may shed more light on the size of carp in there. :-)

jon burton
Committee Member
Committee Member

Postby jon burton » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:56 pm

Yes there are bigger carp in bradley green but unfortunatley they are outweighed by the smaller ones so competition for food is always taken by the small ones. I dont fish for the bigger carp as it is nigh on impossible to get the bigger ones.However have noticed that the larger carp patrol the bushes around the edge.
I only tend to fish it in matches.
Tuesday night matches in the summerm, i was having 70-80lb of smallish carp in 2 1/2 hours fishing short. approx 80-120 fish
Skilts/river arrow bailiff

Cyprio
Top Class Forum Poster
Top Class Forum Poster

Postby Cyprio » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:15 pm

Thats a lot of small carp, they just make it impossible to single out the bigger fish when there is that much competition. You can almost imagine the bigger carp sat watching the small uns hanging themselves so they know that there is a danger of being caught! :-D.
Perhaps from what you said the margins would be a start for bigger fish, makes sense, they probably try and distance themselves as much as they can from the rest of the population. Who knows! :-D

Pete Hill
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Pete Hill » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:12 pm

Pleased to report BG is as reliable as ever for a bit of action.
A couple of us had about 35-40 carp in 3 hours on Monday afternoon.
Biggest would be no more than 3 and a half lb but all good fun after the cold snap we have just had. All caught on maggot feeder around the island and EVERY single one was a mirror.
I know we always see a lot more mirrors than commons at BG but do commons "switch off" in the cold weather a lot quicker than mirrors?
By the way, access was no problem at all if anyone is worried about the track although I suppose that could change pretty quickly if the rain comes down consistently.
Pete

Cyprio
Top Class Forum Poster
Top Class Forum Poster

Postby Cyprio » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:30 pm

Hi Pete,

I know from past experience with my own winter fishing i have caught both common and mirror carp through the winter, i dont think one slows up before the other. These carp will not stop feeding altogether, instead they just feed for shorter spells and less frequent. They also shoal up tighter so can become harder to locate, especially on bigger gravel pits. Good session you had though, always the place to go BG if you want a bend in the old carbon wand! :-D

Diwrnach
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby Diwrnach » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:00 pm

Yeah I went down for a few hours on Sunday, fished corn/method feeder and I was getting takes before I could put the rod down most of the day, 1-2mins tops before a bite.

The water down there is so low at the minute though, hadnt fished there since March I think and the water is so low, could do with alot of rain.

Cyprio
Top Class Forum Poster
Top Class Forum Poster

Postby Cyprio » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:29 pm

The water levels are low at some venues , they dont seem to all be suffering with the same problem though , and on the whole the catch rates have not been effected , just look at the Vale , well down on its normal level but still it has fished well.

Its a well known fact anyway that shallower venues fish much better through the winter so dont knock it just yet. :D :D

rob
Forum member
Forum member

Postby rob » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:36 pm

hi i took my grandson down to bg on weds 27/10/2010 and he caught
loads up to about 6lb mostly on corn and meat fishing a pole at 6mtrs
and literaly in the edge .the idea is for me to teach him to fish rod and line but he preffers the pole i fished a feeder in the side ,not having
time to set up a pole as being only a small 9 year old he kept tangling
up the rigs that i tie up for him but he enjoyed him self ,this is a great venue for taking youngsters to learn but it has to be looked after i picked
up several pieces of litter whilst i was there.last august 2009 i fished there
with my wife for a few hours and a guy came down and fished the big bay
with floating bread and he caught some realy nice carp with this method
which of course you cant do now as its banned.
regards rob :D :D
rob

Diwrnach
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby Diwrnach » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:09 pm

That may have been me, fished that bay a couple of times now on the surface.

What I did the second time was feed the ducks plenty of bread further round the lake and fish untill they started to come my way, then repeat.

Return to “Bradley Green”